I’ve created a step by step tutorial for those people who have their blog powered by WordPress and want to revamp or upgrade their look. There are thousands of free and premium themes on the web that your blog could benefit from. There are so many different styles you can choose from: 2 columns, 3 columns, magazine style, corporate style, Adsense-ready, etc. With so many out there you need to carefully choose the one that fits your blog and one you will benefit from in the long run.
1. Search for a free or premium WordPress theme: Browse the internet high and low for the one that you think will fit your blog well. You can search our past posts or to help you out below are a few sites that you can go to for some collections;
2. Download your theme: After you have chosen the right theme, you need to download it onto your computer. You will download and save a .zip file to your desktop that you need to extract. I’m using a Mac, but a Windows will look similar…
3. Upload your theme to the correct directory: After you have downloaded your theme, the next step is to upload the file using an FTP client such as FileZilla or using a WebFTP provided by your host in the admin panel. To do this you need to:
- Connect your FTP client to your hosting account
- Find where the WordPress file is uploaded to
- Click on wp-content, then themes
- Upload your new theme
4. Log in to your WordPress Admin and activate theme: Enter your Username and Password. Click on “Appearance” on the left hand side of the Dashboard and then click “Themes.” In this area you will see your current theme and underneath you will see the themes available and your theme that you uploaded should be seen here. Click “Activate” and make sure your theme doesn’t expose any errors.
Now you have a theme of your choice that you can use for future use. Hopefully you can improve the look and feel of your blog which will have new viewers coming back.